Sunday, March 15, 2015

Ancient Board Game: The Royal Game of Ur, and a Game of Senet

We have encountered so many of board games in our life, but this ancient one, I have never seen, heard, or played. This is the Royal Game of Ur. The mechanic is pretty simple and very familiar, and that would be because it uses the dice mechanic. This was a game that was considered to be of the oldest layer in the history of board games, and so hypothesized that this was the father of many of the recent board games. Despite the age of the game, it was quite the playful one; which in my dictionary means a good fun and interaction between players. It encourages players not just to rely on the dice, but to also involve their decisions.

Now the second game, the game of Senet, is a very similar game to the Royal Game of Ur. It involves the dice movement mechanic and somewhat similar approach to player interaction and decision making. The only major difference that it had was the shape of the board; being a simple 3 by 10 squares rectangular board.

My experience with these two board games were very fun. Although I am not an enthusiast of board games, these two games gave me a sensation that I have never experienced. I wouldn't say that these were the most fun of games I have ever played, but the feeling is more of an awe than fun. It is the sort of feeling you get when you went to a historical site and saw device that performs similar to an iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment